One of the most important goals we, as an organization, have is to connect our instructors with students, connect our students with careers – and connect our industry partners with skilled employees. We provide training and resource materials to our instructors that they are able to utilize in their classrooms, as well as providing our industry members the opportunity to be directly involved with actively recruiting the most skilled workforce possible within our state. We offer numerous opportunities for educators and industry partners alike; from becoming a mentor, to finding a location to tour with students, to recruiting future skilled workers for your business.
For a listing of our active ProStart schools, please click here.
For a map of our school locations, please click here.
For a listing of our WLRA industry partners to contact as mentors, supporters and possible employers for your students, please click here.
Adopt a Classroom
Through the ProStart program, high school students can learn career-building skills and get a taste for success in an industry that is hungry for talent. But they can’t do it alone. The success of ProStart and the future of the industry depend on industry leaders. Lending time and expertise can make an immediate impact on a student’s passion for a career in the industry.
You can help develop the leaders of tomorrow first-hand by becoming involved in the following opportunities:
Mentor a ProStart student, team, or class
As a mentor, you can help students make a connection between their present performance and their future career. Mentors provide overall support for their goals, career competence and character development, and can help students gain real-world experience and practical skills that help to shape their futures in the foodservice industry.
As a ProStart mentor, you will play different roles at different times, according to your student employee’s needs. Mentors help students make the connection between their present performance and their future career.
Benefits of Being a Mentor
As a mentor, both you and your company can benefit.
- Play an important role in a student’s life
- Contribute to the future of the restaurant and foodservice industry
- Improve your supervisory and management skills
- Explore new ways of looking at your job and operations
- Gain motivated student employees who are focused on the industry as a career
- Groom potential employees by creating a rewarding work experience
- Launch a career-long connection with future employees and customers
- Contribute to the industry by helping create a high-quality labor pool
Mentors provide overall support for student competency and character development in the following ways:
- Educator — instructs students in technical and soft skills.
- Supervisor — gives direction. Shows students how they fit into the needs of the organization.
- Coach — provides motivation and information to help students meet performance expectations. Gives ongoing feedback and encouragement.
- Counselor — helps students work through problems or attitudes that affect job performance.
- Role Model — leads by example. Helps students develop effective professional skills and habits.
Connecting our students with the next steps in the journey through the industry is very important to us. We proudly partner with four Community Colleges within Wyoming that offer culinary arts and hospitality management programs.
- Casper College
- Central Wyoming College – Jackson
- Sheridan College
- Laramie County Community College
Check back soon for more details on an upcoming partnership with the University of Wyoming.
Please contact our office for further details on these specific programs within the state.
Hire a ProStart Student or Alumni
By seeking out ProStart students in your recruitment efforts, you have the opportunity to recruit employees who have already committed themselves to working hard towards a rewarding career in the industry. ProStart students are armed with the foundational skills necessary for success in the front-of-the-house and back-of-the-house.